FBJ vs 702 vs Racism vs....????

NOT SURE WHAT THE FIGHT IS ABOUT ANYMORE....

Sitting in the forum held by the South African Human Rights Council (HRC) regarding recent issues on the Forum of Black Journalist (FBJ) and their subsequent fight with Talk Radio 702, I wondered whether anyone really understood the matter at hand.

The fighting between the two over spilled into a right on attack at each others character. Punches thrown (figuratively), blood shed and in the end no sign of the matter at hand.

Sure 702 had a right to file a complaint at the racial exclusionary manner of the FBJ and sure the FBJ had in return every right to have their voices heard, but the slander on character I really could not understand.

I for one am all for the FBJ. Yes go have a forum for black journalist’s, yes go do good, but yes (damn it) OPEN your doors to whoever wants to attend so that you can all work together to improve the stature of black journalist’s. The FBJ’s exclusionary policy is ineffective and maybe more detrimental to the upliftment of black journalists in the long run.

I’m a young journalist and the slinging match did nothing but make me feel as if I was let down. My idea that unity helps to bridge what has happened in the past seems to be a false utopian hope. I sat there in bewilderment watching people I felt and believed so strongly in making me want to be a journalist; degrade each other that I wondered if I had in deed chosen the right profession.

Journalism for me is to report on the truth and to have voice for those who do not have one. Also to act as the fourth estate. (right?!?!?!?)

But when you here that a certain group of media powerful had a closed meeting with one of the most powerful and influential people in SA, the African National Congress President Jacob Zuma, it makes me wonder if there in fact was an ulterior motive. Sure nothing may have been said or done but the fact that the FBJ excluded others from such a luncheon will make any conspiracy theorist wonder what the TRUTH is.

Anyway now that the ball is in the HRC’s court (so to speak) we will see what happens.

Here’s a full recap on events…

How it started:

Storm brews over journalists' forum


Racism and the media: 'We're not out of the woods'


Questioning division


Take a read at Ferial’s piece in last weeks M&G

Change starts at home


Yesterdays round up:

Don't cry no tears, FBJ tells 702

Anyway on a different note…I am highly excited at the moment…My first full page article will be in the M&G paper tomorrow wooohoooo…though its officially not my first one I have written before, this one means more to me and it counts more.







Technorati Tags:, , , , , ,,,,,,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

5 Tattooed my Soul:

SingleGuy said...

Congrats on the article Miss K.....I'm gonna to purchase a copy of the M&G and frame the article.....it mught be worth something one day!!!


On a different note...Racism is really big in the Media in the last Month....Irvin Khoza's K-word, The FBJ, and Free-State's idiot brigade...when are you boys and girls gonna highlight some Good News?

KiLLa said...

Reverse racism....

Waseem said...

Congrats on the article!

takilla - how can there be such thing as reverse racism?

KiLLa said...

Simple - Its everywhere now..
Blacks are just reversing the role played by the Apartheid government but are making it less obvious and apparent..

Its affecting sport, job opportunities amongst others..

Its a reality..

KiLLa said...

More like reverse apartheid (not racism)

Creative Commons License

Designed by Posicionamiento Web | Bloggerized by GosuBlogger